Imagine you and your gang went on a tour. Suddenly you discover that one of you has bought a backpack from Tumi. Guess what? That friend leaves you all in awe. Everyone is jealous of him now. If you are new to Tumi, you may start thinking about what’s so special about it.
The specialty of Tumi cannot be described in words. In today’s world, Tumi is a brand that still managed to hold a special position in the market by competing roughly with other brands.
This brand competes with itself too, strives most to produce more effective and handy products. Tumi has a vast range of products. For now, I have decided to write about the bags here. You may wonder why only bags.
This guide will find a brief discussion on Tumi, the pros and cons of Tumi wallets, backpacks, and luggage, and their price range. Later you will know that despite being a famous brand, why Tumi’s worth still is not up to the mark.
About Tumi Inc.
Founded in 1975 by Charlie Clifford, the US-based company Tumi produces bags, travel essentials, mobile accessories, belts, pens, jackets, electric equipment, etc.
However, it is well-known mainly for luxurious bags. The title itself comes from the Peruvian ceremonial knife named ‘Tumi,’ used for sacrifices.
The products are mostly black in color. Other colors and designs are also available with different price ranges.
What Makes Tumi Extraordinary?
- Wide range of designs.
- Products are made of premium materials.
- Long-lasting design.
- Environment-friendly design.
- Unique features.
- Products go through lots of tests before stepping into the market.
- Perfect match for high social and economic status.
What Causes Tumi’s Bad Reputation?
- High cost.
- High cost does not always guarantee better service.
- Deduction of lifetime warranty to 5 years warranty only.
- No service for unexpected damages.
- In quality, newer ones are far less than older ones.
Let’s take a look at Tumi’s bags.
Do you know what the plus point of Tumi wallets is? Its 4 collections are designed for every type of customer.
The first one, the Alpha collection, is designed for military men, adventurers, and preppers. The Nassau collection is best suitable for businessmen and traditional look lovers.
The Delta collection is made especially for travelers. And the last one, the Monaco collection, is perfect for executive guys.
Here is a list of some top favorites –
- Tumi Alpha Double Billfold Wallet with RFID ID Lock for men.
- Tumi Alpha Slim Single Billfold Wallet.
- Tumi Nassau Double Billfold Wallet
- Tumi Delta Global Center Flip Passcase Wallet with RFID ID.
- Tumi Breast Pocket Wallet
- Tumi Voyageur Travel Wallet for women.
- Tumi Voyageur Flap Card Case for women.
- RFID with ID lock technology.
- Elegant and beautiful gift box.
- The varied range of spaces.
- Classic and vintage charm.
- Ballistic nylon and napa leather are common materials.
- Easy to clean.
- Easy to maintain.
- Most of the wallets are bulky.
- Some wallets have bigger bill compartments, and some don’t.
- Some wallets have tighter pockets.
- Less variety of colors and designs.
- Not every wallet comes with a transparent ID window.
- Wallets that have minimum pockets are found inadequate by the minimalists.
- More pockets cause more costs.
- Men’s wallets generally start from $50, women’s wallets start from $36 – $40.
- Card cases are sometimes cheaper and sometimes costlier than wallets.
Looking for a great backpack? Tumi is there. Office-goers and tour lovers find Tumi’s backpacks awesome. Not only do they look good, but these bags are also better inside than outside.
The top picks are mentioned below –
- Tumi Women’s Voyageur Ursula T-Pass Backpack
- Tumi Women’s Voyageur Carson Laptop Backpack.
- Tumi Women’s Voyageur Just In Case Backpack.
- Tumi Unisex Alpha Bravo Nathan Laptop Backpack.
- Tumi Unisex Alpha Bravo London Roll-Top.
- Tumi Men’s Tahoe Crestview Backpack.
- Tumi Men’s Alpha Bravo Davis Backpack.
- Tumi Women’s Harrison Bates Laptop Backpack.
- Ballistic Nylon as material.
- Compartment for laptop (common) and tablet (optional).
- Waterproof pocket for water bottle/umbrella/any drink.
- Padded and adjustable shoulder straps.
- Tumi tracer.
- T- Pass.
- Double-zip entry system.
- Zippers do not always run smoothly.
- Sometimes it could be hard to adjust straps.
- Some backpacks lack internal pockets.
- High price.
- Usually starts from $350.
The luggage of this brand is rockers. Made from high-quality materials, every model has some superb features that make it difficult to decide which is the best one. Tumi’s luggage is strong and secured unquestionably.
Here are some most-picked models –
- Tumi V3 International 22 inch Expandable Wheeled Carry-on.
- Tumi V4 Continental Expandable 4 Wheeled Carry-on.
- Tumi Alpha 2 Medium Trip Expandable Suitcase.
- Tumi Alpha 3 Tall 4 Wheeled Duffel Packing Case.
- Tumi 19 Degree Aluminum Extended Trip Packing Case.
- Omega closure system.
- Attractive handles.
- Ballistic nylon, Tegris, aluminum as materials.
- Good looks.
- Tumi tracer.
- No guarantee of durability.
- Some bags do not come with unlimited colors.
- No bag costs less than $500.
Is Tumi Worth It?
To be honest, it is a debate rather than a question. Be it bags or other accessories, Tumi’s products always cost high.
As you have seen in the previous sections, there is a clash between the price and the service. Again, price does not ensure quality all the time.
User experience matters and varies also. On the one hand, some find problems right after they have purchased a bag from Tumi.
On the other hand, some use Tumi bags for a long time without any damage. Paying a hefty price for Tumi would be reasonable if you belong to the second group of users. Otherwise, it is a total loss.
Obviously, brand matters. Tumi did not gain fame overnight. It constantly worked hard and still worked to prove its worth to the customers. So, hard work deserves a good chunk of money, right?
There is a common saying that a Tumi product does not cost less than a penny, even if it ends up second-hand.
If you buy a Tumi bag at $500, be 90% sure that $400 is the actual price, the rest $100 is just added because of the brand name. Why? Because it is TUMI. A brand that never fails to attract anyone.
Look at the unique features they add on bags and wallets – Tumi tracer, T-Pass, RFID with ID lock technology, Omega closure system.
Also, the use of materials like ballistic nylon and tegris is praiseworthy. So it would be stupidity to whine over the cost. All those features do not come free.
Again, the warranty system is another annoying point. Until 2004, Tumi offered a lifetime warranty. Later, it was reduced to only a 5-year warranty, which is a big disappointment.
Again, in this 5-year warranty, Tumi will not look after all the damages. In the first year, Tumi’s customer care will seem like heaven.
From the second year to the fifth year, you will not find Tumi as helpful as it was in the first year of warranty. You have to spend your own bucks, then.
So it can be said that Tumi is a brand with mixed reviews. However, if you demand a specific verdict, then my verdict is – Tumi is not worth it.
In a nutshell, Tumi is not a budget-friendly brand. It is suitable for showing off only. Therefore, it is your choice to worry about your bank balance or look for other brands that offer cheaper yet better bags.