You or many people can say the maximum people ask the same question & that is how many pounds can I carry on international flights?
The allowance or permission becomes more vital in international flights than domestic ones; on the other hand, you may face some restrictions while traveling from one province to another.
I love traveling all over the world, & I visit various nations; I board a flight at least once a year & that’s how I gathered my experience. It is always a constant that I will go abroad with a lightweight luggage, but come back with a heavier one because I love shopping no matter wherever I go.
Anyway, let’s get to the point & find out all the rules & regulations regarding an International flight, including the limit of weight in your luggage while going on a flight.
What Are The Basic Rules Of Boarding An International Flight?
If you’re about to sit in a plane or travel by air, you must know some things you must follow; otherwise, you won’t be allowed there.
Let’s check the list of things you must know or follow during your journey by flights:
- First of all, you are supposed to take your boarding pass along with your passport, visa, & air ticket because you have to show the pass & the people on duty won’t let you sit if you miss bringing it.
- Secondly, you shouldn’t wear such clothes or makeup that makes you look suspicious, or your face looks unrecognizable to anyone; that may cause problems for you at the airport.
- You can’t carry anything you want on a flight; for instance, you cannot carry any weapon, explosive item, or any other thing that can be proved dangerous for the flight or harmful for other passengers.
- On the other hand, you will have restrictions about the size & total weight of the luggage you will be carrying; you cannot carry as many things as you want.
Now you may ask your expected question: how many pounds can I carry on international flights or what size of bags is allowed on flights.
The answer may vary due to different airlines, but there are some standard measurements that all international airports should follow.
For example, the standard weight you can put into your luggage is 40-50 pounds; some airports prefer the weight except the bag & some count it including that.
No matter what system your local or destination airport follows, you should be more cautious about the weights & keep it less than the highest limit.
Moreover, you may not know, but there is a standard measurement of each side of a three-dimensional luggage or bag suitable for carrying on flights.
The linear calculation of each side should not be more than 20 or 21 inches or around 50 centimeters; therefore, the dimensions’ total sum should not exceed 60-62 inches or 150 centimeters.
Please remember that these are the highest dimensions; so, you have to carry either this sized or smaller bags on your flights.
What Are The Units To Calculate The Weight Of Bags on Flight?
You all know that you can count the weight measurements in different units like FPS, CGS, or MKS, but the FPS & MKS are mostly used to calculate the bags in airports.
If you measure in FPS, you will find the weight results in pounds, but you have to calculate in kilograms while you measure in MKS.
As the MKS method is the standard unit for measuring anything, you have to count the luggage’s weight in kilograms, mostly in airports, but calculating in pounds is also a traditional one.
Suppose you know how much your bag weighs in kilograms, but you want to know in pounds. You have to know the interrelation between kg & pounds.
A kilogram is more than twice a pound, indicating it to be heavier; you can say 1Kg= 2.2 lbs ( pounds is known or written as lbs).
Which Airlines Allow How Much To Carry On A Flight?
No matter which state or which country you are living in or traveling to, you would definitely love to travel on the renowned airlines; therefore, you must check the list of airlines & their allowed size & weight.
Let’s see what airlines allow which size of carry luggage & holding bags:
- Aer Lingus follows the dimensions of a carry bag 50×40×24 cm & that will weigh up to 10 Kg; moreover, it allows the passengers to have a 23 kg holding bag with 158 cm cubed.
- Air Canada also allows almost the same size of carrying bags 50×40×25 cm & the weight is the same; 10 kg is the highest level.
However, if you’re traveling by Air Canada, you may take a 23 kg holding bag like the previous one.
- Air France is more liberal than Aer Lingus & Air Canada because it allows a 12 kg carry bag & a laptop or a handbag; moreover, the measurements are 50×35×25 cm.
It will allow up to a 20 kg load into a holding bag, but don’t worry because the permitted weight can vary due to different routes.
- American Airlines only allows a carry bag & a personal item to take with you; the bag’s dimensions are up to 56×36×23 cm, but you should be careful while choosing your items.
- British Airways allows a large carry bag for international flights & you may properly use it; moreover, you can take a double load if you’re on a domestic flight.
- Singapore Airlines doesn’t put any restrictions regarding the size or dimensions of the bag you will be carrying, but it can’t weigh more than 7 kg.
Therefore, you should travel via these airlines only when you have a small number of belongings to carry, or you’re going on a short trip.
No matter what airline you have chosen to travel to, get to know the size & weight chart; otherwise, you may have to leave your things behind at the airport.
Anything here is not constant & things may obviously vary; that’s why if anybody asks you how many pounds can I carry on international flights, your answer should be the standard one.
Moreover, it would be better to use a range, not a single number, because every airport follows that ratio.
However, the right way to pack your bag before the flight is to measure all the items’ weights that you will carry before putting them in the bag; thus, you can avoid any unwanted situation on the flight.